Ramarley Graham’s Family Still Seeks Personnel Records For Cops Involved In His 2012 Death
Ramarley Graham was 18-years old when he was killed on February 2, 2012. He lived in the Bronx. The Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit of the New York Police Department spotted Ramarley and alleged that he was tugging on a gun in his waistband. Officer Richard Haste followed Ramarley, who went into his apartment and locked the door. The incident ended with Haste shooting Ramarley in the bathroom of his apartment. No gun was found.
The official report stated that Ramarley ran when officers identified themselves. Video evidence however, showed that Ramarley was walking into his home casually.
Officer Richard Haste was stripped of his service weapon and placed on modified duty. In 2013, Haste was indicted by a grand jury and charged with manslaughter. A judge dismissed the indictment however, citing an error in jury instructions. A second grand jury convened and Haste testified before that grand jury. That grand jury failed to indict Haste.
The Department of Justice opened an investigation in September 2014. Subsequently, then Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara announced that there was “insufficient evidence” to file federal civil rights charges against Haste.
In 2015, the City of New York settled a wrongful death lawsuit with Ramarley’s family for $3.9 million.
The NYPD Firearms Discharge Review Board found the shooting to be within department guidelines.
In 2016, under pressure from New York City Mayor DeBlasio, Haste was offered to resign with a vest out with all benefits. Haste opted instead to go to department trial. It was then up to the New York Police Department’s Internal Affairs to conduct an investigation. The internal investigation found that Haste, who had been on the force since 2008, used “poor tactical judgment.” His termination was recommended. On March 24, 2017, Haste was informed of the decision and submitted his resignation two days later.
By exiting on his own terms, Haste’s disciplinary record was not opened to the public.
Think Progress took action and found that within a 13 month span, Haste had 6 complaints filed against him before he killed Ramarley. None were substantiated.
Ramarley’s mother, Constance Malcolm, still seeks to hold Sargent Scott Morris and Officer John McLoughlin accountable. McLoughlin was the officer who kicked in the door to Graham’s apartment. Morris was the supervising officer on scene. Constance wants disciplinary records released and disciplinary trials held. The Department has said that there are “ongoing judicial proceedings” but have yet to try either of the officers. Both are still on full-time duty, with McLoughlin earning $24,168.50 in overtime pay for fiscal year 2017.
“It’s been over five years since Ramarley was murdered in my home and the de Blasio administration still hasn’t brought all the officers responsible to a departmental trial, held them accountable by terminating their employment, or even released basic information on the misconduct that led to my son’s killing,” she said in a statement.
“It’s sickening that Officer John McLoughlin, who kicked down the door of our home to kill my son, is still receiving overtime pay even though the mayor and police commissioner made empty promises to end these kind of overtime practices.”